Business Unit Manager
Responsible for the leadership of a cross functional business unit team (e.g. sales, operations, engineering, quality), new business generation, proposal preparation, bookings (orders), business results (e.g. Profit and Loss accountability, meeting annual Plan, and growth in the value for a business segment within an Operating Unit), developing and maintaining customer relationships, establishing the yearly business Plan, overseeing operating activities to ensure good customer service and cost objectives are met, contract negotiation and other duties as necessary.
This position focuses heavily on value creation. The Business Unit Manager focuses on details of value creation (e.g. value based pricing), continual cost improvement (e.g. Productivity), and identifying profitable new business opportunities. Guides a team of sales personnel, engineers and manufacturing personnel to create real intrinsic value for the business.
- Develops and implements the OEM and Aftermarket sales strategy, implementation plan, coordination and monitoring for the business unit.
- Promotes customer satisfaction philosophy to all levels of the organization.
- Prepares sales forecasts and monitors the sales team’s performance in achieving the defined sales goals for new and existing business.
- Prepare annual Sales and Business Plan, tracking and accountability for actual assigned business segment with the Operating Unit.
- Oversees coordination of business unit and product representation at industry events.
- Develops promotional sales material.
- Participates in management reviews of the business units overall performance.
- Represents the business unit at customer and industry meetings.
- Support the implementation of innovative solutions for VA/VE initiatives.
- Facilitate team based leadership concepts including open communication and continuous improvement.
- Envision potential applications for core technology beyond existing products.
- Work closely with the product teams, engineering, and customers to develop innovative, cost effective, producible solutions to design specifications and field requirements.
- Identify new and/or opportunistic applications and ideas in addition to cultivating relationships with current and target customers.
- Foster focused resources and cross-functional teamwork.
- Building and leading a dynamic organization and setting the pace and example as leader, coach, and mentor to further build and strengthen the culture/skills of the team.
- Performs additional duties as required.
Skills, Abilities and Other Requirements:
- Strong leadership and managerial skills.
- Thorough knowledge of the assigned business segment products, both Original Equipment Manufacturers and Aftermarket.
- Strong background in forecasting business and industry trends.
- Ability to form good working relationship with customers, co-workers, and subordinates.
- Aeronautical manufacturing industry experience is preferred.
- A background in an entrepreneurial organization focused on developing well-engineered custom components and systems is most desirable.
- Very strong communication skills, to include spoken, written and presentation skills
- Strong problem solving skills and critical thinking capability
Education and Experience:
- College graduate with Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Business, Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong leadership capability required.
- 7+ years’ experience in directing cross functional personnel.
- 5+ years of experience with sales, engineering, finance and operations preferred.
- Program management experience preferred
- Experience supporting bids and proposals and managing multiple customer projects concurrently.
- Solid business, financial, and project management skills coupled with strategic planning experience.
- Solid mix of commercial and leadership skills as well as ability to communicate easily at both the technical and non-technical level.
- Proven record or success selling innovative solutions with highly complex technical requirements.
- Demonstrated record of building and maintaining effective working relationships with customers, peers, subordinates and management.
- Ability to mentor team on commercial and technical issues.
- Experience in the growth and professional development of people
Casual work environment with excellent work-life balance. Benefits include competitive pay, health, dental and life insurance, tuition reimbursement, 401(k), on the job training and development and much more.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. EOE M/F/D/V